September 29, 2012

Coconut Granola

One of Michael's clients brought in some homemade granola a few weeks ago.  I am still not sure all the ingredients in that granola, but I tried my best to make something similar.  We really need to get that recipe because we ate it all within a week or so. It was a nice snack with goat's milk or as a side to my breakfast.  I wouldn't just have this for breakfast because it doesn't have enough protein to get me through my morning.  It is definitely a nice change from the usual berries for breakfast.


Coconut Granola

3 cups gluten free rolled oats
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup unpasteurized honey
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted

Preheat oven to 350'C.  Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  In a large measuring cup, whisk together the honey and coconut oil.  Pour liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to coat evenly.  Spread it out on the cookie sheet.  Bake for 25-30 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so.  The granola will be soft when you remove in from the oven, but will crisp up as it cools.  Break the mixture up and serve with goat's milk or high fat organic yogurt. Store the rest in a airtight container.
*add your favourite ingredients to this recipe.  I think adding some slivered almonds would be yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment