April 24, 2013

Jambalaya!

It was Sunday night and I didn't have meat out to defrost.  The thought of going into Monday without any protein cooked was scary.  I know, based on experience, that if Michael opens the fridge and there is not any meat cooked he isn't a happy athlete.  The guy eats so much!  I struggle every week trying to keep up with him and his ravenous appetite.  I often think I have made enough of something to last at least a few days, but somehow it might only last a day or two.  This time of year is especially tough because of his increase in training in preparation for the Regionals.

On Sunday, he said to me, "You should make that jambalaya again." So, I did.  It was only the second time I've made it, but I think I got the spice mix just right.


Jambalaya

1 Tbsp. butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup onion, diced
3 spicy italian sausages (cut into half inch cubes) - we use Spolombo's as it is local and gluten free
10-15 ready to cook shrimp
10 scallops, cut into quarters
1 Tbsp. oregano
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. cayenne (adjust for heat)
1/2 tsp. paprika
Small pinch of saffron (optional)
1 tsp. each salt and pepper

4 cups beef broth
4 cups chicken broth
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 orange, red, or green pepper, diced
1 cup white rice


Defrost seafood by running it under cool water.  In a large sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat. Saute the garlic and onion until translucent.  Add sausage and cook until lightly browned and cooked through.  Add shrimp and scallops and cook until shrimp is light pink in colour.  Add oregano, bay leaf, cayenne, paprika, saffron, and the salt and pepper.  Stir to mix in the spices.  Add broth, tomatoes, pepper and bring heat up to a boil. Add rice and turn down the heat to a low simmer.  Cover and cook for 30-45 minutes until rice is tender but not overcooked.




No comments:

Post a Comment